Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Venom standalone film

It looks like the worst part of Spiderman 3 is going to be getting his own standalone film. We get the scoop from our friends at IESB:


Venom fans rejoice, Marvel is moving forward with a new stand alone film, yep you heard right, Venom is coming back to the big screen. We’ve confirmed that “the studio” has met recently with several “A list writers” about a spin-off film.


Eight years ago, New Line Cinema held the theatrical rights to Venom. Since then, the rights have reverted back Marvel. But does Sony have complete control over the character since he was a part of Spidey 3 or does Marvel control the rights to the character with Sony only having distribution rights? We have to assume that since there is movement and there has been recent meetings with writers this property must belong to Marvel since they have made an interim agreement with the WGA and proceed to develop projects during the current strike. Either way, one thing is for certain, Venom will get a second shot at the big screen.


Venom sucked in Spiderman 3, I am not a huge fan of Venom but I know a lot of people that are; and I felt very sorry for them. Venom was a joke, horribly mis-cast, poorly executed and I try my best to forget everything about him in that movie. I sincerely hope that they do not use Spiderman 3 as the platform in which to launch him into his own film.


I do not think anyone on earth wants to see Topher Grace as Venom again; but I would guess that they would have to, unless they throw continuity out the window (and in this case - I would be fine with that). If Venom is going to have his own standalone film, does that mean that they are going to make him a hero, or just have a villain centric super hero film? I do not want to see Venom fighting crime, I want to see him fighting Spiderman and wreaking havoc upon the cities of earth.


I am not thrilled at this news. I am uncertain how they can have this character branch out - when he had such a horrible introduction. It would also be strange if they pretended Spiderman 3 never happened. You need to have Venom and Spiderman tie in together, it’s just the way it has to be. If they tie it in - I will be disappointed, if they don’t - I will be disappointed. This seems like a no win situation to me. What do you guys think?

Movie Blog

14 comments:

  1. I just happen to be one of those HUGE Venom fans. I have to agree, that Grace wasn't the best (or even a resonable) choice for Eddie Brock. I can't even guess how good his acting would be, but I could live with Brock Lesner (ex-WWE wrestler and MMA fighter)being casted for the role. I hope that the writers do away with everything that Spiderman 3 has destroyed, as far as the Venom image is concerned. Perhaps Marvel and Sony could work together again and come up with some way to salvage their reputations. Just be sure the movie focuses and follows Venom, not Spiderman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a huge Venom fan or at least a Venom comics fan. The charector that was in spiderman 3 was no Venom. They focused too much on the idea that venom was just a suit. at least thats what it looked like (a man in a suit). No one seemed to put together the fact that in the comics, the reason Venom was ripped and muscular was because Brock was ripped and muscular. Thats also why spiderman was'nt more muscular when he wore the suit. Venom is more like a second skin. Let's hope they realize that before they try to make a new Venom film. The fact that Spiderman 3 featured Venom seemed to be all about the money. They new they were going to make alot money but they didn't want to put the money into Venom during production. They have the technology to make the comics come to life, let's cross our fingers and hope they do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be cool if they get Topher Grace to play as Eddie Brock, Vin Diesel as Venom, and Gordon Michael Woolvett as Cletus Kasady and Carnage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or someone else to play as Eddie Brock / Venom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the idea of Venom having spiderman's pattern, but he was ruined in spiderman three. I'd love to see a film just for him! The best Marvel character deserves a good film!

    ReplyDelete
  6. VENOM IS MY FAV MARVEL CHARACTER AND I WAS DISSAPOINTED BY HOW MUCH OF THE MOVIE WAS LEFT FOR HIM AND BY HOW HE DIED WITHIN THE 30 MINUTES HE LIVED SO I AM NOW HAPPY THAT HE GETS HIS REPUTATIONS WORTH BY HAVING HIS OWN MOVIE (I WOULDNT MIND OF THAT GUY FROM THAT GUY FROM THAT 70S SHOW PLAYED HIM AGAIN THOUGH)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary Jane is supposed to go into an "alternate dimension" (thanks to King Pin and more or less Hob Goblin) and be chased down through these dimensions by her friendly neighborhood Spider man. So could this be an opertunity to say well... In Spider man 3 the Goblin bomb thrown at the symbiote (and Brock) threw them into one of these alternate dimensions?

    Hey Venom is tough but hes no match to the brains of the wallcraller.
    (ignoring that Venom can climb on walls.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I personaly think that they should get Canadian actor; Gordon Michael Woolvett to play as Cletus Kasady / Carnage in the new "VENOM" film.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who else aguees with me. :( ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Next Venom vs Hulk vs Mary Jane is going to be directed by Sam Raimi/Peter Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Topher Grace as Eddie Brock/Venom...thanks, Hollywood...For completely shattering my childhood image of such an awesome comic book character! It was excruciatingly nauseating to watch my childhood icon of Brock/Venom ruined on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a huge venom fan and always have been. However, Venom isn't Venom if he isn't fighting Spider-man. Spider-man 3 ruined my absolute favorite Marvel Charecter super-hero/super-villian alike. I like the Brock Lesner casting idea because he is an asshole already. I think his acting may be alright because the WWE is acting anyway. I hope they redeem themselves because Hollywood really dropped the ball. Venom is big, mean, nasty, and fed by his hatred for spider-man. Topher Grace= Garbage

    ReplyDelete
  13. IF THIS MOVIE DOES GO THRU WHICH I HOPE IT DOES IT SHOULD BE DARK LIKE THE DARK KNIGHT

    ReplyDelete
  14. need a great actor to play vemon; vin diesel is a possibility, maybe wwe/ tna wrestler kevin nash, or go right to the top bruce willis or mickey rourke, tv star christopher meloni ( law&order). topher is a good actor in the world of humor; his role in predators was good- but playing as the symbiote monster- hell no !!!! cletus kasady/ carnage, leaner more defined body- paul walkner ( fast and the furious) maybe collin farrell. demo goblin; mark harmen ( ncis ). rhino; stone cold steve austin wwe or a straight up actor like james gandolafinio ( sopranos ). kraven; liam neilsen (star wars- phantom of the menace). scorpion; jim carrey (why not,the riddler/ batman) he has played villians in other movies.

    ReplyDelete